Holidays: Model Trains, Toys at N-Y Historical Society

Magnificent model trains, train stations and sheds, bridges and tunnels, carousels and Ferris wheels—all populated with toy figurines in colorful nineteenth-century dress, will be on view this holiday season at the New-York Historical Society, in the first museum exhibition of selections from the renowned Jerni Collection.

The vintage European and American toys, chosen from a collection that is widely acknowledged as the world best, will be installed from November 24, 2012 through January 6, 2013, welcoming holiday visitors to the 77th Street entrance of New-York Historical and the institution’s DiMenna Children’s History Museum.

Assembled over a period of some fifty years by U.S. collectors Jerry and Nina Greene and numbering some 35,000 items, the Jerni Collection spans the years from approximately 1850 to 1940 and contains a comprehensive representation of the work of every major manufacturer, including the German firms of Marklin, Bing, Ernst Plank, Carette and Rock &amp- Graner that set the standard for the Golden Age of European toy manufacturing.

Among the unique, hand-crafted and hand-painted toys will be the only existing first model elevated station. Designed by Marklin, ca. 1895, it is known as the Rolls-Royce of toy train manufacturers and will be displayed in the Judith and Howard Berkowitz Sculpture Court, near the 77th Street entrance. In New-York Historical’s Luce Center, the installation will include Marklin’s largest and most elaborate train station, ca. 1904- Marklin’s only known extant post office, ca. 1895- a Marklin girder bridge designed by Gustave Eiffel, ca. 1905- Rock &amp- Graner’s extraordinary hand-painted road over double-arched brick bridge, ca. 1902- and Ernst Plank’s exquisite Ferris wheel from the turn-of-the-century.

Photo: Marklin Gauge 2 Onion-Dome Train Station with accessories, 1900. From the Collection of Jerry and Nina Greene.

Related Articles

  • Coney Island Souvenirs Throughout The YearsConey Island Souvenirs Throughout The Years In May 1654, the early settlers of Gravesend, Brooklyn purchased what is now known as Coney Island from the local Native Americans. Back then it was just a beach, but by the 1840s it had […]
  • Great Souvenirs From The 1939 Worlds FairGreat Souvenirs From The 1939 Worlds Fair Salt and pepper shaker, 1939. Plastic. New-York Historical Society. Gift of Bella C. Landauer,On April 29, 1939, the largest world's fair of all time came to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park […]
  • Contribute To A History of NYC in 100 ObjectsContribute To A History of NYC in 100 Objects A Checker taxicab, a conductor's (OK, not just any conductor but Leonard Bernstein) baton, the blue-and-white Greek coffee cups and the elevator safety brake. A subway token and a mastodon […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *