The National Archives at New York City has announced that within the next two years they will move their office to the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House at One Bowling Green in New York City. Their new home will be located in the same building as the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian. The building is currently known as the Custom House building, designed by Cass Gilbert in the Beaux Arts style and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
After extensive renovation, the new space will be ready in the fall of 2011. They will announce the exact dates of the move as soon as possible.
According to an Archives Press release, “At One Bowling Green our patrons will continue to receive the same great service they have come to expect from the experienced National Archives staff. We will continue to provide access to all of our holdings. An increase in our public and outreach programs, and our new proximity to other important New York cultural institutions including the Museum of the American Indian and Ellis Island, will enable us to reach a wider audience.”
According to the Archives, at One Bowling Green they will:
* Occupy space on the 3rd and 4th floor of this historic building.
* Store our most used original records and most popular microfilm holdings.
* Provide access to all of our records (including records stored offsite).
* Continue to provide certified copies of National Archives holdings.
* Increase the number of public access computers so that patrons can access online resources.
* Continue to make available online subscription services including Ancestry, Footnote, Heritage Quest, ProQuest, free of charge.
* Provide additional outreach programs to increase awareness of National Archives resources in New York, the Northeast Region, and nationwide.
Two public meetings will be held on May 4th to discuss these and additional details about the move. Times and locations of these meetings will made available shortly.
For questions, contact Nancy Shader, Director of Archival Operations, National Archives at New York City by phone: 866.840.1752, fax: 212.401.1637, or email at [email protected].